Thursday, January 15, 2009

Reply to Michelle's post

Michelle recently wrote about her daytime television habits. Although it wasn't a large part of her discussion, she did mention that she liked to watch The Price is Right. And I just can't say no to a Price is Right discussion.

I too am a devoted fan of the show. I watch it whenever I have a statutory holiday or sick day. I think this is why I like it so much - it reminds me of my youth. I was only able to watch it when I wasn't in school, whether that be sick days, P.A. days, or summer vacation and the games always focused on products that were only ever advertised during the day. I grew up on Bob Barker. He was The Price is Right.

But I did notice that by the end of his run, Bob was ready and wanting to go. When I was able to watch the show the year and months leading up to his retirement, you couldn't help but feel sorry for the man. He would forget game rules, he became surlier and didn't want contestants embracing him (especially the crazies who just won a new car - and hey I wouldn't either). He just looked as if he could keel over at any minute if someone breathed on him the wrong way. I just felt bad for him and wished he could have gone out a bit more gracefully.

I do like Drew Carey as the new host. I think he has freshened up the show. I very much appreciate his "what the..." comments on some of the strange products and prizes that are on the show. One of my favourite moments on the Price is Right is in the Showcase Showdown when the one contestant, who is usually a university student, passes the first showcase to the other contestant, thinking that the second showcase will be better. However, the first contestant ends up with your grandparents kind of bedroom set, dining room set with china hutch, and a poorly built catamaran. Oh, and the cut back to the contestant's expression? Priceless.

Wow, this is probably the longest anyone in the world, throughout history, has talked about the Price is Right. Well, this is the kind of hard-hitting, asking the tough questions, no spin zone posts you get at this blog.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

brilliant. you could write an academic paper on the subject, nay, you Should write an academic paper on the subject.