At my place of business, my colleagues go nuts for the office pool. During the just recently past NFL season, a few colleagues started a pool. Then, a couple other colleagues started a pool for just the NFL playoffs (while the aforementioned pool was still running). And then, a couple other colleagues ran a special Super Bowl pool.
Well, now that we're apparently in the midst of March Madness, my workplace has set up a NCAA college basketball pool. "Why not?" I thought. I paid my $10 and was sent an Excel spreadsheet to enter my picks.
I didn't know how much work was going to be involved and how confusing it was going to be. The tournament is made up of 64 teams. I had to picks the winners of 63 games. Oh, did I mention that I know nothing about U.S. college basketball? There were quite a few colleges that I hadn't even heard of (and don't even get me started on their team names - what the hell is a Tar Heel?) Even though each of the teams in each of the divisions are ranked 1 through 16, none of them have played the same number of games (then how can the teams be ranked? - it just doesn't make sense).
Also, the four divisions are East, Midwest, South, and West. However, the colleges put in each of these divisions do not at all reflect actual geography. For example, Georgetown is a university located in Washington D.C. Washington D.C. is located on the East Coast of the United States; yet, Georgetown is found in the West Division of the NCAA Championship.
And what's the deal with promoting the tournament as "The Road to the Final Four"? Isn't the whole point of the tournament to win it all, not just make it to the semi-finals?
Anyway, I fully expect to never see that $10 again.
In the spirit of the season, GFY is holding their own March Madness.
5 comments:
This is why I don't concern myself with sports or sports pools...the high school math-class-esque panic and confusion aren't worth it!
You're right. I've got to make my millions using a better way.
Well, I'm off to buy a bag full of lottery tickets... :)
My dear friend---if you had the bruins (UCLA) and the jayhawks (KU..nope not kentucky u or kalamazoo u, but kansas u)in the finals you'll definitely be seeing that $10 again. I am the biggest "March-only" college bball fan ever, and will forever remain the Champ of the 2006 NCAA Pool that I entered. The sad thing is that due to technical difficulties I wasn't able to enter the pool this year.
Good luck yo!
FL, I have the Tar Heels (North Carolina) and the Bruins in the finals, with NC winning the tournament.
I got an update today on how I'm doing: I'm in a four-way tie for the basement. But, there's only a two-point difference between last and first place. Not too shabby considering I assumed I would be mathematically eliminated after the first round.
Hmmm....not too bad for a first timer! I can see your tarheels hanging on, but only until they encounter the jayhawks--then it's good night NC. I think UNC has only won one championship since '93. On the other hand, my beloved bruins raked in a championship in '95 (and have the record for the most national championships...11---and there you have useless fact number 3)
Post a Comment