- I eat the food on my plate in order of deliciousness, from icky to exquisite (true, but it's here for homage-ical reasons).
- Despite being born and raised in the Kay-Dub, I have never been to an Oktoberfest celebration (it's now more important to me to maintain this streak than to actually attend an Oktoberfest event).
- When I was five years old, some older kids thought it would be cool to teach and make me repeat several swears. My sister found out about this and blackmailed me for nearly seven years (No, I wasn't a momma's boy; I just didn't want to see the "evil eye" and/or "expression of disappointment" - they always made me fold faster than Superman on laundry day :).
- I used to play the viola in a quartet. It was a pretty sweet gig.
- For Christmas one year, my sister and I decided to give our mom an updated photograph of the two of us (you know, a photograph where there are no brown and orange colour combinations and no one is sporting a "Dukes of Hazzard" t-shirt with the name "Colin" on the back written in those iron-on sparkly letters - man, I miss that shirt :).
Anyway, my sister had a coupon to Sears Photo, so we decided to go there. The photographer greeted us and showed us to the studio. She then began to place my sister and I into some strange poses: my sister and I were facing each other, I had my hands around her waist and she had her hand on my chest. The photographer continued to put us in some strange poses. My sister and I were starting to feel very uncomfortable and a little disturbed, but we didn't say anything because hey, she was the photographer; she had the certificate of achievement in photography from the Sally Struther's study-at-home program hanging on the wall - she was the one with the credentials.
So after all the pictures were taken, the photographer uploaded the photos to a computer so that my sister and I could review them. The photographer told us that we could choose from a selection of backgrounds and write a short statement on the border. So, the photographer chose the background with a rose and a wedding band on it. She then proceeded to type "We're Engaged!!!" (yes, the three exclamation points were hers, not mine).
I don't remember much after that because I blacked out once I read the computer screen :). It was an awkward and embarrassing (for us and the photographer) couple of minutes after that. My sister and I didn't choose a background, quickly ordered prints of the least disturbing poses and then got The. Hell. Outta. There.
On the bright side, I got a funny story out of it and all it cost my sister and I were several years of therapy.
Thursday, January 17, 2008
Five things...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Thanks for the homage, I always eat my dessert in order of deliciousness!
You've really never been to Oktoberfest? Really? I mean, I haven't, but I've never lived there...you're a boy, don't you like the beer?
Viola! awesome, I used to play chopsticks on my grandma's piano.
The photography story is impressively disturbing, lol.
My sister and I had a photo done a couple years ago (the only mishap there was the assumption that she was older, cause she's so darn tall) and we Really wanted to choose a whimsical background with like toadstools, or unicorns, but they only offered us whites, blues and grays. :(
Holy Schnikes, that story made me laugh out loud.
And re: Oktoberfest ... I hate to say it, but you're not missing much. The festhalls for young people are like your average bar with limited beer selection and the odd chicken-dance and polka thrown in. The more adult and less crazy ones (which have year-long waiting lists) are just a bunch of people dressed in leather shorts drinking beer from plastic cups and eating over-priced sausages which you could get from the market on any given Saturday. And try getting a cab on a weekend during Oktoberfest. Nope. You're better off staying at home.
Although, I hope you got to attend the parade in your youth. That wasn't bad.
I've heard that story before, but still, I almost snorted tea out of my nose (rooibos chai while listening to Billy Holiday).
And on a less disturbing note, I also prefer eating things in reverse-deliciousness order.
Oh man, that made me laugh so hard.
I also eat least delicious to most delicious. Save the best for last. I need something to look forward to.
I'm so glad that there are so many others in the world who eat their meal in reverse-deliciousness. Finally, I know that I am not alone. I am also happy that you were able to laugh at my expense :).
Michelle, I do enjoy a wobbly pop and other spirits now and again (mostly in a darkened room, alone :), but I'm going to have to go with Barb on this one: it's the annoying music and the overpriced beer and sausage. Plus, I want to minimize my facetime with surly drunks - I love hanging out with happy drunks, but not everyone is a happy drunk.
K to O: I am proud to know that my story has achieved a drink-snorting level of hilarity. By the way, as I write this, I am drinking Green Tea and listening to The Beatles (the o-riginal Britpop Invaders).
Perhaps every few days you (and I'm including M'shell in 'you') should post what you're listening to, as well as whatever hot beverage you're enjoying. Photos would be a nice touch.
Comments can be whatever the reader is listening to/drinking.
Right now: Rooisbos chai and the gentle hum of Saturday afternoon Vancouver traffic.
The photo story was hilarious. I can't stop laughing.
Trixie
Post a Comment