I finally caught an episode of The War, the Ken Burns documentary on the Second World War on PBS. I really like what I've seen so far: it's two hours of news reels, computer generated maps, and interviews with veterans...I'm in history geek heaven :).
You can tell Tom Hanks has a hand in the series, as it sounds like Burns is using the same historical sources used for Saving Private Ryan. Hanks has also lent his voiceover skills to the miniseries. Samuel L. Jackson is another celebrity who provides voiceovers for the documentary [every time I hear his voice, I keep thinking about Jackson's line from A Time to Kill: "Yes they deserve to die and I hope they burn in Hell." Thank you very much, Dave Chappelle :)].
P.S. History Television, while you're busy airing that same episode of CSI:NY for a third time today, you might want to look into getting the rights to broadcast this honest-to-goodness historical program. A crazy idea, I know.
1 comment:
Andrew got The War for his stepfather's birthday (man's a huge WWII buff). There's already a list of about half a dozen people who've requested to borrow it. :)
Post a Comment