Sunday, October 07, 2007

Review: Across the Universe

I thought this movie should be subtitled "Or how Michael Jackson paid his legal fees." :)

I kid, I kid.

Coming into this movie, I didn't expect much. I've never been a fan of musicals on the big screen. I can suspend my disbelief when everyone starts breaking out in song in a stage musical, but I just can't do it for a movie.

The only reason I went to see Across the Universe was for the music. The Beatles are the greatest band of all time (write me a letter, if you want, musical geeks, I don't care :). Their repertoire is amazing and their influence on music since has been second to none. I remember when I was introduced to their music. I was twelve years old and my sister had just returned from visiting our father's family in Belfast. She had brought back Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and I was blown away. And the love only grew from there: The White Album, Revolver, Abbey Road...

But I digress. Across the Universe. The music was fantastic and all the actors had great voices. I loved the many references to the Beatles: Jude painting a green apple and Sadie and her band playing on top of a building (yes, U2 did it, but remember this kids, The Beatles were first :). The movie was also visually stunning and well made. Yes, there were some "out-there" parts of the movie, Bono as Dr. Robert and his Magic Bus and the "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" scenes come to mind, but I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and will no doubt procure the DVD when it becomes available at my local book/music/video/lifestyle hypermegastore.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Although I was a bit put off by some of the disjointed scenes, I did already procure the soundtrack and I was a fan of the musical performances...and Jude...cause, well, he was British and lovelorn ;)