I don't understand much about networking. My greatest triumph in this field came on September 9, 2003 when purchased a router and successfully networked the Internet between my computer and the computers of my two roomates. Although I was able to follow some very good step-by-step instructions, I still had to deal with entering IP addresses and setting proxies and such. I thought it was some pretty heavy stuff.
I've sort of become a one-hit wonder in the world of networking since that proud day. On subsequent occasions when I needed to re-connect to the Interweb, I simply just plugged my cord into the port in the back and everything has worked honkey dorey.
I have recently moved into an apartment in London that has a wireless Internet connection. My computer only offers access through a wired Internet connection (I know, I'm so 2002). I didn't know how I was going to resolve this problem. I discussed my issue with a former techie colleague. He told me that I could purchase a wireless adapter that would simply plug into my USB port. Sweet. So, I procured said device from a local computer and electronic gadgets supplier.
However, when I went to set up my new Internet connection, I noticed that the person from whom I'm subletting had left a wireless broadband router. This router had a port where I could plug in my network cable. So I did and...success!
So, I am not quite sure how I am accessing the Internet, but as long as it works, I'm not going to complain.
No comments:
Post a Comment