Thursday, January 18, 2007

The Return of The Office

Tonight's episode of The Office did not disappoint. Jim and Pam were back working together as a hilarious team, but instead of pranking Dwight, who had recently quit Dunder Mifflin, hid Andy's cellphone in the ceiling. Jim's "talking head" (these are like video "confessionals" on reality shows) was hilarious: "Congratulations Universe; you have won."

The funniest moment in the show for me was a very subtle one: when Michael enters the Staples store to apologize to Dwight and offer him his old job at Dunder Mifflin, the muzak that is playing in the store is the theme from An Officer and a Gentleman. I love shows that reward viewers for paying attention.

It looks like Andy's days are numbered. I will certainly miss Ed Helms. His singing always makes me laugh. Karen's days are most likely also numbered, as Jim told her that he still has feelings for Pam. Although I enjoyed tonight's episode, it also left me conflicted.

As I've said before, I really liked the addition of Ed Helms and Rashida Jones. I thought it was a good story turn that Jim, after telling Pam how he felt about her and her rejection of his feelings, would move on and find someone else. I always hated Friends for the fact that the writers would consistently dust off the on-again, off-again Rachel and Ross relationship story throughout the series.

But, on the other hand, The Office seems to be returning to the original cast and the original story lines that made me fall in love with the show in the first place: the inappropriate, but well-intentioned comment from Michael, Dwight's insane level of devotion to Michael, and the angst between Pam and Jim. All this is very comforting for me.

No comments: