A week from Sunday, I will be participating in my first 5 km run since 1988 when I participated in the "Franklin 5" with hundreds of other Kay-Dub primary school children.
I'm excited and nervous. My training has been going well, especially since I've been able to start running outside with the arrival of the nicer weather. I was finding that I couldn't get motivated to run more than three kilometers on the treadmill. I would get bored. I was worried that I wouldn't be able to finish or that I wouldn't cross the finish line until sunset.
However, I've found that running is much more interesting when you're outside and have changing scenery to stare at instead of a treadmill timer.
Oh yeah, and "running" is a bit of a stretch. My stride is more of a jog. But nonetheless, I'm able to finish 5 km in about 43 minutes and that is my only goal for next Sunday.
To keep me motivated during my run, here's a song that I enjoy listening to while I feel the burn, shout slogans at myself and master my ass. In the great tradition of the '80s movie workout montage, I give you "The Final Countdown" by Europe. Enjoy!
4 comments:
Perfect song.
Go team Colin! You'll do awesome.
Dude! That's awesome. :)
My training got totally derailed, and I can't bring myself to go back to trying to run on a treadmill. SO BORING. However, I now live beside the park, so, as you note, I can now be miserable in interesting surroundings!
Almost there!
Thanks all. I shall endeavour to make you proud.
Post a Comment