Sunday, August 09, 2009

< insert witty sugar pun here >

Currently Drinking: A tall glass o' water

Currently Listening: The drunken yokels trying to explain why they fled the scene on Cops (well, when I started writing this I was).


Woah. Yeah. Umm. Huh. Well. It's been a while. I'm sure this blog's three readers have long since given up, tired of seeing the same almost month-old post. So here's an update:


Over a month ago, I went to the optometrist because it seemed that my prescription had changed because things were a little blurry. After the optometrist ran his tests, he referred me to my doctor to get my blood glucose levels checked, as a symptom of diabetes is blurry vision, eventually leading to blindness if the disease gets progressively worse.


The next day, I visited my doctor and he ordered a battery of tests, most of which required blood to be drawn. I've never had luck with blood tests. Anytime I have had a blood test, the lab tech can never find a vein or the blood just doesn't come out. This requires the tech to poke me with a needle several times and occasionally dig for a vein. Needless to say, I would frequently become woozy and need to be escorted to the "special room" with the bed. This time, however, I was able to remain conscious and upright - even after being poked eight times. I told my mom afterward that she owed me a present because I was such a brave boy.


A few days later, I was told that I had the diabetes, type 2 stylz. It was certainly the wake up call/kick in the ass I needed. I've been filling up on vegetables, making sure to eat three meals a day, cutting out convenience foods, and eating at normal times. I'm also going to the gym five times a week and I've lost 20 pounds. I also have to check my blood glucose levels. All my results have been within the appropriate range. This makes me very happy because if I can keep this up hopefully I can manage the disease through a pill and diet/exercise and won't have to get insulin injections. Although I've become quite the master prick with my lancer when I have to check my blood glucose levels, there's no way I will be able to stick myself with a needle. This fear of needles certainly made my mom happy when I was younger because she knew I would never come home with a tattoo or piercing or become addicted to heroin.

5 comments:

k-o. said...

Good work on avoiding the need for needles...and you know what they say about insulin being a 'gateway' drug--it starts with a little insulin, and you're all "oh, I'm just stabilizing my blood sugar." But then next thing you know, you're a full-blown fiend.
Srsly, yo.

Trixie said...

Sounds like you've got it under cover with the pills and exercise. Good work! It's amazing what one will go through just to avoid needles. ;)

Barb said...

Oh my - that's rather big news, eh? But good to hear that you're able to control it sans needles. Blech. Good motivation to stick with the diet/exercise though - boo needles!

colin said...

Thank you for your messages of support.

I don't want to get all "after-school special" on you, but don't worry, I will never become addicted to any drug that requires injection. Especially insulin, with that whole danger of falling into a coma and possible death from an overdose.

lalalala said...

I'm sorry to hear that, but am glad that you are doing as well as can be, it seems.