Friday, July 28, 2006

My website and I are on a break

I am currently in the really nice Mac lab here at school, trying to finish up my website for a class assignment. If I can submit it by Saturday at 9 am, I can get a 5% bonus. Meh. Not worth it.

I find creating a website is sort of like being in a relationship. The beginning (creating the design and layout) is all fun and new, but by the end of it (checking links and fixing broken image paths), both parties are trying to mask their contempt for each other :).

The other big news is that I will be moving to Toronto in September for a co-op job. I'll be working for a medical library. I will be helping implement the department's new integrated library system. The job consists of the usual amount of co-op student grunt work: data migration and clean-up, scanning book covers, etc., but the job will also involve developing some marketing materials and training employees on the system's catalogue module. Fun times.

I have to say the job is growing on me. I had ranked the job second as a back-up plan in case I didn't get my first choice, but I really wanted my first choice and I really thought that I had nailed the interview and was going to be offered the job. Oh well. I've had other interview experiences where I didn't think there was a chance in hell that I could get the job and afterwards was offered the job. That's the funny thing about the job hunting process: the randomness of it all.

Anyway, I am excited to start this new job in Toronto. I am nervous about living and working in the big city. I have only ever experienced the city in small doses: a day trip here, maybe a weekend there. I like my personal space and I don't (as of yet) have a thick skin. Unfortunately, Toronto epitomizes the antithesis of these things. Well, it's certainly going to be a learning experience in more ways than one.

No comments: