Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I've had this song on repeat for the past couple days...

..."Think you can wait" by The National.



Just to let you know, this post kind of meanders here and there - starting with music, sauntering over to movies and then strutting down the street to books. I'll try to put some roadsigns to direct you.

These things I watched:

Over the weekend, I went to see Win Win. I was planning to see Your Highness (don't you judge me. I enjoy the comedic stylings of Danny McBride and well, as those of you who know me, even if Natalie Portman just stands in front of a brick wall for two hours, I'd pay to see that). However, because of the dismal reviews the movie received - 24% on rottentomatoes.com - I decided to wait to until it would appear on TMN (where all the unpopular, unappreciated films end up) or the internets.

Anyway, I decided to see Win Win instead. I'm really glad that I went to see it. A great movie. Paul Giamatti plays a lawyer, named Mike Flaherty, with a failing practice and is a volunteer coach for a high school wrestling team. Without giving away too much, the grandson of one of his clients comes to visit his grandfather who is living in a retirement home. The grandson then ends up living with Mike and his family.

I really like Paul Giamatti. His characters are more than just "lovable losers". He's able to walk a line where his character can at moments be despicable but can still generate an audience's sympathy. I found this especially true in the characters he played in Win Win, Sideways, and Barney's Version.

These things I read (with a short detour back to a "these things I watched" rest stop):

Speaking of Barney's Version, I finished the book a few weeks ago. I really enjoyed it. Very funny, although there were a few Yiddish and Quebecois references that went over my head. It was also interesting to read a book about someone writing their memoires - at times in the middle of a chapter, the story's main character, or "author" would switch gears and go down some other tangent. I did enjoy the movie, especially Giamatti's characterization, but because the book is pretty thick, and even at 2.5 hours, the movie had to gloss over a lot and go through Barney's life at break-neck speed.

After Barney's Version, I switched gears and read Unfamiliar Fishes. Written by Sarah Vowell (she was the voice of Violet in The Incredibles and is a contributor to This American Life on NPR), the book discusses the history of Hawaii and the path the islands took to becoming a charge, and eventual state, of the US. Vowell traces the landing of the New England missionaries and their efforts to Christianize the Hawaiians, leading to annexation in the late 19th Century during America's fixation with empire-building with the acquisition of Puerto Rico, the Philippines, and Cuba following the Spanish-American War. Vowell did a great job of placing events in their historical context. I really enjoyed the book for the way that Vowell combined her love for the subject with her hilarious wit. I would recommend Unfamiliar Fishes and I will definitely search out her other titles.

2 comments:

scotchneat said...

If I'm not mistaken, Sarah Vowell is one of Jon Stewart's favourite writers/guests.

librarianfonz said...

Yes, Jon Stewart is my Oprah's Book Club :).

I had heard of her before but had never read any of her books. It was the Daily Show interview she gave a couple weeks ago to promote Unfamiliar Fishes that got me interested.