Monday, February 14, 2011

Well, Hollywood is always rebooting movie franchises...

...let's see if I can't do the same for this blog.

Yes, it's been a while. I'm sure if you're reading this, you already know about most of the major wheelings and deelings that have occurred in the past seven month, let's call it "hiatus", yeah that's what we'll call it, so I don't need to rehash it here.

And that's the end of that chapter. *Dusts hands in satisfaction*

Moving on...

The reason that drove me post my non-sensical ramblings to the internets: Valentine's Day, the most hated of the non-holidays.

It was hilarious walking around the PATH and seeing the long lines outside various card, flower and chocolate shops. Nothing says love like lining up for overpriced flowers and bonbons.

My favourite part of the day is going to my local pharmacy/health/lifestyle hypermegastore and walking past the Valentine's Day aisle - it usually looks like the place has been looted. The card rack has been picked over, cards and envelopes put back in wrong slots, stuffed animals littered on the floor, the chocolate cleared from the shelves, leaving only the disgusting chalk-based confections.

Anyway, taking my cue from Michelle who put forward a good idea for this non-holiday, I also propose that those of us to be found single on this day for couples to give a present to ourselves.

No, not that kind of present to ourselves.

For example, I bought this for myself today. I'm pretty excited about it. I looked at the Kindle but ultimately decided to go with the Kobo. I just wanted a simple eReader. I didn't want all the other options the Kindle offers, like plays music, surf the web, et cetera. I have enough things that do a bunch of other things.

Well, that's about it from this young yet already bitter curmudgeon.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Welcome back. I like this idea, you know, if mine doesn't take off of course. ;)

Excellent description of the apocalyptic wasteland that the drugstore turns into on valentines..

Congrats on the ereader though, you'll need to blog about it once you've had time to tinker with it.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back to bloglandia & congrats on the prezzie.

-K.O.