Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Review: World War Z

World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks. Crown Publishing Group. 2007.

Zombies are my most favourite horror-genre. Like cyborgs, they are single-minded beings that are bent on killing you. You can't reason with them. And like cyborgs, they are usually associated with a post-apocalyptic world. World War Z has whats I likes. From the writer of The Zombie Survival Guide and the son of the writer-director of the greatest comedic film of all-time, Spaceballs, Max Brooks has a well-written and terrifying book about the Great Zombie War.

Brooks writes the book from a very interesting perspective. He writes it as if he is interviewing the participants and survivors of a worldwide pandemic that eventually becomes a fight for the survival of humanity. His descriptions of how governments and citizens initially react to the pandemic and their eventual actions to escape and fight back are very chilling. He fills the book with hilarious political and social satire. His accounts are well developed and help to create a very real fictional world.

A highly recommended read.

Although there are many more prolific and smarter bloggers than I, I just wanted to acknowledge that this is my 200th post. (respectful and short end zone dance) Huzzah! (/respectful and short end zone dance)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

tillykke!

~T~ said...

Congrats on your 200th! Did you celebrate by ordering that Jane Austen zombie book?

colin said...

Tak skal du ha', K-O. Hvordan gaar det i Vancouver?

Thanks T. No I haven't yet ordered the Jane Austen zombie book. I'm just going to take a wee break from zombies for a book or two before I get back to reading about the army of the undead.

k-o said...

Vancouver's good. It didn't rain at all this weekend, so I drove friends around in the jalopy (as documented in the Book o' Faces), feeling all the while like Smithers.

The Renegade Librarian said...

I am absolutely NOT smarter than you! I was shocked to see my blog linked to "smarter". You are far wittier and far more interesting than I and there is zero doubt that I'd far rather read your blog than mine!

colin said...

Thank you RL, but we're going to have to agree to disagree :).