I was sitting in my local book/lifestyle/coffee hypermegastore earlier today, reading my book about The Great Zombie War. As I was reading my book, a man and a woman sat at a table beside me. I try to tune them out, but from what I heard of their conversation, this was one of these fascinating events in human relationships, the first date or "go out for coffee" to which it is colloquially referred. As we all know, the coffee section of the unsaid hypermegastore is a popular locale for the awkward and innocuous first date (sorry, I'll try to keep the bitterness to a minimum).
I looked over at them and was quite surprised at the man's attire: he was sporting a baseball cap and throughout the entire date did not take off either his hat or his jacket. Now, I'm clearly not a Don Juan-, nor even a Brett Michaels-type (as evidenced by the fact that I'm reading alone in a location that, for all intents and purposes, is the new "singles bar"), but is this standard operating procedure? He makes it look like he's going to bolt at any second? That way, he can cut through the usual bullshit of the first date? I don't know, I just think that it's important to show at least a basic level of courtesy and respect by removing a coat and baseball cap.
And the advice for me? Never again forget my iPod when I go to the book/lifestyle/coffee hypermegastore.
2 comments:
Good advice all around, I once went on a 'coffee date' during which, in the 3 hours we sat and chatted, and drank hot beverages, the male-type person I was out with never took off his baseball hat.
We did not have a second date.
*
I had an unfortunate similar experience recently, I was out with my sister at a pub and a couple sat next to us.
This couple proceeded to have one of the most painful 1st date conversations in the history of the world.
I can't describe the horror of it, we wanted to take the poor girl with us when we left...
*shudder*
As I told you before Michelle, I hadn't showered for several days, thus requiring the hat :p.
I guess this "male-type" was caught in a bit of an infinite (or idiot's) loop: having put on the hat earlier in the day, hat head had most certainly developed. He then was unable to remove the hat, less to display his case of hat head. In turn, this forced him to continue to wear the hat :).
Post a Comment