Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Last history-related post, I promise**

A few days ago I was asked by a work colleague for a list of non-fiction military history books. I of course referred her to her local library since, as a non-practicing librarian, I am not a member of the guild and not authorized to provide readers' advisory.

She sez "what is readers' advisory?"

So I sez to her, I sez "sure, I'd love to recommend a few book titles."

The list below is not meant to be comprehensive. These are some of the books that I have read and that I feel would have wide acceptance among various readers. Please feel free to add any titles that you have read.

No Price too High, Terry Copp.
A combination of great writing and tremendous historical sources and illustrations, Copp traces Canada's involvement in the Second World War.

Flags of our Fathers, James Bradley
A great book written by the son of one of the soldiers involved in raising the American flag on Iwo Jima. You can read my review of this book here.

Empires on the Pacific: World War II and the Struggle for the Mastery of Asia, Robert S. Thompson.
An high-level overview and discussion of the Pacific theatre of operations, focusing on the military and political perspective. He does make an interesting argument for US motivations for entering the war, and one that bucks the traditional argument.

Death so Noble, Jonathan Vance.
Although this book doesn't deal directly with military history, this is my favourite military history books of all time. Extremely well written, Vance examines how Canadians remembered and commemorated the First World War during the interwar period.

**not actually a promise

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank god for that disclaimer Colin, you really had me worried there for a second. phew!
annie

Michelle said...

As a member of the guild, snooty-boots-high-falootin' division, I can say with some candor, that if you survived liberry skool and actually Read books, then you can provide reader's advisory. so I sez.

Anonymous said...

Puh-leeze, as if I would stop blogging about topics of a historical nature...I can barely keep the blog updated with them.

Thanks Michelle. I'm going to be a freelance reader's advisor, a personal librarian to the stars, if you will.