- A Christmas Story - probably one of the best Christmas movies of all time and has some of the most moments (Randy and his deep-sea diver winter attire, "The Lamp", and the pink bunny rabbit onesie). My sister and I have watched this movie so much that we can recite the movie line for line.
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer - this is one of the first Christmas specials I can remember watching as a young'en. I've always loved the animation used and that's what kept me coming back to this special. Unfortunately, a couple of the lines haven't aged well and they always make me cringe when I hear them.
- A Christmas Carol - and for this one, I mean the 1951 black and white version with Alastair Sim. His performance near the end of the film when he wakes up and realizes that he has not missed Christmas and is as giddy as a school girl is brilliant. As I've gotten older, I've also appreciated the olde tymey elements of Dickens' story.
- Merry Christmas, Mr. Bean - oh, Mr. Atkinson, this is how I choose to remember your Mr. Bean character, in short skits and tv specials; not in horribly long and painful movies. As I've said before, this special has one of the funniest Christmas special moments of all time.
- Scrooged - a great modern remake of a Christmas classic. The scene between Bill Murray and the Ghost of Christmas Present, Carol Kane is hilarious.
- Elf - Alhtough I find the ending is a little too maudlin (even for a Christmas movie), Will Ferrell and Bob Newhart are hilarious in this movie. You can also tell that the part of the movie set in the North Pole was very much inspired by the animated special, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.
Oh, and my Christmas movie secret shame? I've never been able to watch It's a Wonderful Life in its entirety. I really like Jimmy Stewart - he is a tremendous actor. I just find the film too depressing to make it to the end; plus, the alcoholic pharmacist slapping around a child is a little too dark for me for a Christmas movie.
4 comments:
nice list, also I like the term 'steel cage match' very much in reference to my blog.
It's a Wonderful Life: one of my Mom's faves and I definitely do enjoy watching, all except for the part where Geroge Bailey finds his once beautiful wife Mary, homely and alone because he was never born, cursed to live her life as, horror of horrors: An OLD MAID LIBRARIAN!!!!
I love Rudolph. I got a DVD set last year of Christmas movies. Frosty Returns is awful FYI.
I've never seen It's a Wonderful Life.
I really just want to scream out "RAPLPHIEEEE!!!!" right now.
Michelle, let me know if you want to start up an ol' fashioned wrestling feud between our two blogs because you know The Macho Man Librarian Fonz is a-comin' for you :).
Lissa, it's no coincidence that none of the Frosty movies made it onto my list. Worst. Christmas movies. Ever.
You too, Renegade? I still open my screen door and scream "sons of bitchies" to anyone who passes by.
Post a Comment