Currently Drinking: A glass of warm milk
Currently Listening: Damien Rice
For some reason, I'm just not able to fall asleep tonight. The good thing about insomnia is that I can catch up on all those great shows the networks put on in the wee hours of the morning. But, as I found out, it's not all infomercials for sex chat party lines. For us insomniac-historyubergeek-dateless-wonders, CityPulse24 airs Rewind in their 2 to 3 am time slot. The program runs old City Pulse newscasts from the 1980s. It's interesting finding out what the top news stories of that day were, and how they reported those stories...oh yeah, and the clothing styles, hairdos, eyeglasses frames and porn'staches of the day are, like, totally awesome.
Along with this case of insomnia, I was also able to finish the book that I was currently reading: Marley and Me by John Grogan. The book made me laugh uproariously and caused my eyes to well up. I would highly recommend it. While reading the book, I constantly thought of Murphy (aka Murph, Murphy Brown, Mr. B, Spud Head), my family's first dog. As Grogan relates with Marley, Murphy was more than just a family pet - he was a member of the family. And when he passed away, it was like losing a member of the family.
The book also brought back good memories. I too was marvelled by Murphy's ability to devour anything: mints (even ones that were buried underneath all of the Christmas presents at the bottom of the tree), toothpaste (we believed this was an aphrodisiac for him since every time he ate a small glob, he would furiously lick and hump everything in sight), a bottle of Kahlua that my sister had spilled (he slept the entire evening and straight through until the next morning), and several Aspirin Extra Strength tablets (we assume he thought they were mints; that was certainly a fun trip to the emergency animal hospital to get his stomach pumped).
Well, let's see if I can get to sleep now. Even if it hasn't made me tired, I'm sure it's cured the insomnia of any readers :).
1 comment:
I have decided that I cannot read your blog when I am working on the reference desk because of lines like this: "we believed this was an aphrodisiac for him since every time he ate a small glob, he would furiously lick and hump everything in sight." I burst out laughing while on the desk. Very unprofessional...
Post a Comment