Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy New Year!

In honour of tonight's festivities, a New Year's meme (stolen from Melle).

[Edit: In my haste to publish this post, it was brought to my attention that I didn't change Question #9 from whence it was stolen - the issue has now been remedied :)]

1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?

Graduated from liberry skool. Living in my own apartment, sans roommates.

2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I don't make resolutions. I prefer to be surprised by what the new year brings :).

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

A work colleague. That's about it.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

No, thank goodness.

5. What countries did you visit?

Canada's Mexico: USA

6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?

More confidence. A firm job description.

7. What date from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory?

April 11th.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Graduating liberry skool. Buying my first new car. Moving into a place of my own.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Lack of self-confidence.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Nope.

11. What was the best thing you bought?

It's nice having a car that I don't have to worry about each time I take out onto the road. Oh yeah, and furniture for the new apartment has to be up there as well.

12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?

Dave and Noriko: Their marriage and return/arrival to Canada. The graduation of my fellow liberry skool comrades.

13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?

OJ Simpson and his publication of If I Did It

14. Where did most of your money go?

Tuition, car and furniture.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

Joining the real world.

16. What song/album will always remind you of 2007?

I can't associate a single song or album with a particular year. I listen to music based on my mood.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:


1. happier or sadder?
About the same, but it's certainly been different since coming into the
real world


2. thinner or fatter?
I plead the fif'.


3. richer or poorer?
I have been pushed up into a higher tax bracket (praise Jeebus, I still
have education deductions for 2007).


18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Visiting friends, travelling, exercising, reading, and volunteering.


19. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Waste money. Worry.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?

Spent it with Mother and the Sisters. It was the first one since 1999 that I wasn't moving somewhere for school or co-op. Huh.

21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?

I don't really talk much on the phone. Probably liberry skool chums. I'm more of a communiqué kind of person, both virtual and hard copy.

22. Did you fall in love in 2007?

No.

23. How many one night stands in this last year?

I lost count after January 1st :). None. Not my thing.

24. What was your favourite TV programme?

30 Rock, The Office, Scrubs, and Kitchen Nightmares (although the British version is better)

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

No.

26. What was the best book(s) you read?

For fiction, I would have to say The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde. As for non-fiction, Flags of our Fathers by James Bradley

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?

The soundtrack to Across the Universe

28. What did you want and get?

A new car. Some furniture.

29. What did you want and not get?

Caesar's Palace Romance Package :).

30. What were your favourite films of this year?

Across the Universe, The Simpsons Movie, Flags of our Fathers, Letters from Iwo Jima, Children of Men - but these are most of the movies I've seen this year.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

It was my 29th birthday...seriously. I was supposed to see The Cure in Toronto, but the jerks cancelled all their North American shows. Instead, I took the day off of work and went to see a good production of Shakespeare's most depressing play, King Lear, in Stratford with some chums. I then travelled to Windsor, took part in the Walk for the Cure, and enjoyed the ice creamy goodness of an ice cream cake with some other chums.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Not having a six month job "detour", but instead starting with the job that I have now.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?

Work casual with a sprinkling of geek chic, whatever that means.

34. What kept you sane?

Liberry skool chums and my professional network.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Tina Fey.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?

This year's Ontario election raised some good discussion around proportional representation and school board funding.

37. Who did you miss?

Liberry skool chums.

38. Who was the best new person you met?

I can't narrow it down: more liberry skool chums, a couple work colleagues.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year?

If our days are numbered, why I do I keep counting?

A close second is a quote from The Office (for all my homies in sciences, library stylz, yo):

"Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject. So you know you are getting the best possible information."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awww...your liberry skool chums miss you too! :)

Michelle said...

Nice work on bringing 'chums' back for common usage!

Excellent wikipedia quote...the office remains a favourite of mine.

Tiny Fey = awesome, 30 Rock is so hilarious, I also have a really warm place in my heart for Mean Girls (LiLo aside).

I think worry ought to be an Olympic event, I'd medal.

PS I stole this. :P