Sunday, June 21, 2009

A blog post, for realsies

Forgive me Blogger, it has been over a month since my last real post. "Real" in the sense that it is more than just a link, longer than three lines and contains original thoughts. However, most of my posts are made up of "borrowed" content, homages, and stolen jokes. But as troubadour Meatloaf tells us, "two out of three ain't bad."

We're in product launch mode at work as well as helping out on a new web content management system implementation so the vast majority of my personal internetting has taken a back seat to my duties as the company's web monkey.

I have finished reading a great book: Columbine. Written by Dave Cullen, a journalist, the book discusses the horrific event of April 20, 1999. Cullen examines the lives of Eric and Dylan, the events leading up to the shootings, and the aftermath. The author also discusses the intentional cover up of police reports by the local Denver police and the myths generated by the media following the tragedy. I did find the book a little confusing in the way it was organized - it seems to jump around a lot. I thought a chronological structure would have been much easier to follow. Overall, however, the book is very engaging and an engrossing read.

I also watched a great movie a couple weeks ago: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. Based on the auto-biography of the same name, the movie is about Jean-Dominique Bauby, a former editor for French Elle magazine, who suffers a stroke and develops "locked in" syndrome where he can neither speak nor move and communicates to others through blinking. What makes this movie so powerful is the fact that for most of the movie, the audience watches it through the perspective of Mr. Bauby - the camera acts as his eye and we are privy to his inner thoughts. The message at the end is uplifting, but I won't lie to you - most of the movie is quite heart-breaking and depressing. However, I think it is a beautifully made movie and I would highly recommend it.

No comments: